Monday, August 24, 2015

Charles Garabedian Update

Charles Garabedian in his studio, August 24, 2012.
At 91, Charles Garabedian remains one of the most vital living artists. I've known him since the 1970s and, as I wrote in a post about his 2011 retrospective: "He was one of the few people I ever met who could always keep me completely off balance. I could never predict what he was going to say, and it was usually something clever, deep and so many levels above anything I, a beginning artist still in my twenties, could conceive of." I should also add, he's one of the quickest and funniest people I've ever met. Every interview with him is at least interesting, including this new one the prolific and wide-ranging art blog Hyperallergic has just published. If it whets your appetite, you might want to check out this very extensive one conducted by Anne Ayres in 2003 for the Archives of American Art.

He'll be having an exhibition from October 8th- November 7th at the L. A. Louver Gallery in Venice California. And here are a few images from his recent exhibition at the Betty Cuningham Gallery. Note how big they are.
Sisyphus, 2007, Acrylic on paper, 35 1/4 x 44 1/4 inches.
Now She Can't Curse Us, 2014, acrylic on paper, 15 3/4 x 48 inches.
Outside the Gates, 2013, acrylic on paper, 57 x 138 inches.

No comments: